Come in - wir blyde ta see you!
Explore the Shetland ForWirds website to find:
- Voices from people living in different parts of Shetland;
- John Graham’s Shetland Dictionary, including a history of the dialect;
- Resources for teachers and students of all ages;
- Poetry, prose and drama with texts and sound clips;
- Oral history, stories, songs, rhymes and proverbs; a selection of Guddicks (riddles).
- A list of reference works.
Explore the sounds of Shetland dialect with our sound map of the isles.
View John J. Graham's Shetland Dictionary (2009) online, with sound files attached.
Learn more about the dialect, access educational materials and much more
Shetland ForWirds AGM
7 pm on Thursday 29 October 2020, on Zoom. For details of how to join us online, please contact us at email@example.com, via our Facebook/Instagram pages @shetlandforwirds, or ring 01595 694104. We will be blyde ta see you!
We are grateful to Jonathan Church, Associate Professor of Anthropology, and colleagues of Arcadia University for their help developing the idea of the website in the early stages.