Come in - wir blyde ta see you!
Explore the Shetland ForWirds website to find:
- Voices from people living in different parts of Shetland;
- John Graham’s Shetland Dictionary, including a history of the dialect;
- Resources for teachers and students of all ages;
- Poetry, prose and drama with texts and sound clips;
- Oral history, stories, songs, rhymes and proverbs; a selection of Guddicks (riddles).
- A list of reference works.
Explore the sounds of Shetland dialect with our sound map of the isles.
View John J. Graham's Shetland Dictionary (2009) online, with sound files attached.
Learn more about the dialect, access educational materials and much more
The Year of Shetland Dialect - 2014 Events Calendar
Launch of Rhoda Bulter award
Details in News item 15 July
Nort Atlantik Drift
Film portrait of poet and novelist Robert Alan Jamieson, directed by Susan Kemp. SANDNESS HALL Fri. 29 Aug at 19.30; MAREEL Sun 31 Aug at 16.00; FAIR ISLE HALL Tues 2 Sept at 19.15.
A visual poem in Shetland dialect, directed by Bruce Eunson and Andrew Lowes, and featuring Bruce Eunson and Ria Moncrieff.
We are grateful to Jonathan Church, Associate Professor of Anthropology, and colleagues of Arcadia University for their help developing the idea of the website in the early stages.