Come in - wir blyde ta see you!
Explore the Shetland ForWirds website to find:
- Voices from people living in different parts of Shetland;
- John Graham’s Shetland Dictionary, including a history of the dialect;
- Resources for teachers and students of all ages;
- Poetry, prose and drama with texts and sound clips;
- Oral history, stories, songs, rhymes and proverbs; a selection of Guddicks (riddles).
- A list of reference works.
Explore the sounds of Shetland dialect with our sound map of the isles.
View John J. Graham's Shetland Dictionary (2009) online, with sound files attached.
Learn more about the dialect, access educational materials and much more
The Year of Shetland Dialect - 2014 Events Calendar
WirdCraft - exhibition at Bonhoga
An exhibition of craft work inspired by Shetland dialect. Opens on 1 November.
WirdCraft - Craft Wirds at Bonhoga
A short programme of poetry, music and talks by craft makers, at the Bonhoga Gallery, to celebrate the WirdCraft exhibition of craft work inspired by Shetland dialect. A 'WordPlay' event. Admission free.
Julie Dennison at 'Wordplay'
Young local writer and artist Julie Dennison will give an illustrated reading of her book 'Da Elves an da Shoemakker' at 'Wordplay'.
We are grateful to Jonathan Church, Associate Professor of Anthropology, and colleagues of Arcadia University for their help developing the idea of the website in the early stages.